Saturday, November 1, 2008

Missed flight & Blisters!! - Day 1.

Hi guys,
Day 1 is over, and I am just about to head off to bed. We have an early(ish) start tomorrow. I hope to be walking by 7am. Hopefully this update makes sense.. I am a bit tired!
But first, I have to mention that the trip got off to a less than ideal start!! I am not too confident with my last exam, so was not in the right frame of mind to begin this marathon walk. I also missed my connecting flight (Not my fault)!!! I was so annoyed, but on the positive side, I did get to spend a night in a flash Auckland hotel!!
As a result of missing my flight, I had to get up to Cape Reinga this morning. I didn't arrive untill close to 1:30pm. We had a cool Welcome in Cape Reinga, and began my walk at 2:30pm (8.5hrs behind schedule!!!!). I covered about 26km, before it got too dark to continue - 20km short of my target. I am aiming to make up the distance over the next few days... The majority of the walk was on gravel roads, and as a result, I was a bit slower than anticipated, I even slipped a few times (doing a 'Helen Clark') - much to the amusment of the crew following me. Overall, it was an enjoyable day, not too hot, with awesome views!!!
I am also having a rough time with blisters. I didn't get to wear in my new shoes before I began, which is proving to be a nuissance!!! I got one really impressive blood blister which consumed my heel and most of the side of my foot - No pictures, Sorry.
I am really enjoying myself and the team is getting on really well!! ("Kim is awesome" - Kim) Not much else to report really.. Achilles was fine today.
I am off to pop those blisters - hopefully there will be another blog update tomorrow!!
Emma.

1 comment:

Claire said...

Congratulations on your first big day. Hope the blisters get better. Thinking of you always. Be safe. Love Claire