Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Day 18/19 - Hamilton - Rotorua.

Sorry about the lack of an update yestaerday!! I went to bed after HOUSE - I was so tired, I couldn't bring myself to begin reading/replying to emails, updating blogs etc.
DAY 18: Yesterday started off really well. I had a group of 15 or so (??) meet me at pack 'n' save (Hamilton). Vanecia did a fantastic job of organising everything. Thank you to the guys who preformed the haka - it was very moving. It was also really cool to meet Vanecia's husband and son!! Unfortunately, David Bennet (Hamilton East MP) was unable to join us, however, Mary-Anne (I hope I spelt that right??!), David's EA, joined us for part of the way. Was great to have you along - Thanks David and Mary-Anne. I can't express how greatful I am to everyone who walked with me through Hamiton. It was really good to have the support, and it was great getting to know you all. Thanks guys!!
As I made my way out of hamilton, a guy going for a run stopped and asked me what I was up to. I told him and he began walking with me. Brian was awesome, and walked with me for at least 40km!!! It was nice to have someone to talk to, and we discussed everything under the sun. We even devised a scale of rating road kill, based on stench, coverage etc - I promised to perfect this scale throughout my walk.. Brian was a God-send, as I was really dreading yesterdays walk (as it was a long way, and I was exhausted!). If you are reading this Brian, Thanks!! Good luck for the 100km race in Feb - I might see you there!
I met Damien on Sunday night when I spoke at the chapel service at St. Pauls. Damien also joined me for the last 15km / 2hrs. It was awesome getting to know him better. He has an awesome sense of humor! Thanks for walking with me, D - It was great encouragement!!
Finished the day of with Subway for dinner and hanging out with Keeg's (I was on babysitting duty!!). I also got to watch Coro St, and HOUSE!!
Thanks Claudette, Keith, and Keeg's - Great to stay with you, I am missing you all already!! (see you in Jan).
DAY 19: Day started off with breakfast at Bev's Delight cafe in Putararu. Thanks very much for breakfast and packed lunch - I especially liked the B&E pie!
I was also recognised at the Tirau information centre. Thank you to Gemma who gave me a free Powerade.
Next, I met Mal & Ngaire. They had travelled over from Tauranga, hoping to see me along the way. They kindly donated some money, and Ngaire even walked with me for half an hour! Great to meet you both.
Tonight we are staying with Paul's parents in Rotorua. We had a fantastic BBQ and I am looking forward to getting to sleep - soon, hopefully!
Tomorrow I have a radio interview, mayoral morning tea (which I am really looking forward to), and a newspaper interview. Being in Rotorua, I think it is highly likely I will have a spa - unless these ones are broken too!!
Really looking forward to arriving in Taupo on Saturday!
Thanks for all the support. Over 650km walked so far, and $10,500 raised!!
Emma.

2 comments:

Faye and Tony said...

Hi Emma. Just want to tell you how immensely proud we are of you and your achievements. While not actually walking with you you're constantly in our thoughts. Look forward to seeing you in December. Lots of love N & G.

vernisia said...

kia ora emma
thank u 4 ur comments. i was talking with my cousin the other day and he sed something interesting, he sed, "cousin, people say 'timing is everything', i reckon timing is ... how u feel." he's right! i feel grateful for u and ur team 2 have met u all at this time in our lives & the privledge of helping this cause in some way. thanks again for all that u fellas are doing. keep smiling through that pain emma. arohanui vernisia, daniel & lil reina woolgar