Monday, November 17, 2008

Day 18 - Huntly - Hamilton.

Hi,
Quick 32km walk this morning from Huntly to Hamilton. It rained (poured!!) The entire time. Was quite nice to walk along the Waikato river for a lot of the walk.
I was interviewd for a Waikato newspaper this morning. The highlight was having my photo taken. The photographer asked me to smile while I was walking ('cause everyone has a cheesy grin when they are walking in the rain, with stiff muscles, and blistered feet...). I felt like an idiot, and am not looking forward to reading the article. My vanity aside, if it brings in donations, I can deal with the humiliation and discomfort...
Tomorrow I will head into the 'Tainui' Radio Station and do an interview before I begin my 50km+ walk through the streets of Hamilton and Cambridge, to south of Karipero.
(People are welcome to join me walking through the Hamilton city centre. We are meeting at Pack 'n' Save, Mill st, at 9am).
I decided that it would be quite good to have a spa. I went to the local pool and was told that the spa was broken (Just my luck, broken/non-existient spas seem to be a theme on this trip!!!). I decided to drive 40km to the nearest pool. It was in the middle of no where (with no cell reception), around narrow, winding roads. I got to the place, and was charged $30 and told I could only use the 'spa' for 30 minutes!!! It was not worth it, but I had come all that way, and was to tired to bargin... They saw me coming!!!
Hopefully I will become a little more 'spa savy' throughout the remainder of this trip.
Had a great night with our hosts at St. Pauls. Played board games with Keegan, and had pizza with Keith & Claudette. I have had a great time staying here, and our hosts have been absolutley amazing!!!
Big day tomorrow - off to bed in the next few hours!!

2 comments:

Nei-Nei Neina-Marie said...

Maaaaaaan, you must be tired!
That's cool how you're so into this. And a great cause too. I just read the Waikato Times, I thought your picture was fine!

Steve Conroy said...

I don't think you need an inspirational quote today! You sound like you are meeting all of the challenges fine! Maybe your body is getting used to the daily grind of walking a marathon.

Make sure you get enough sleep at night!!! Good luck for the next couple of days.

God Bless
Steve