Monday, November 24, 2008

Day 25

Early start, early finish today. Started walking just after 830am, and finished at 3pm. Over 700km walked thus far!!!
Kim & Sharon are in the Hawkes Bay at the moment, so I did my own strapping this morning. Not pretty, but very effective. I am rather pleased with myself! Another (almost) pain free day today.
I really enjoyed walking the Napier-Taupo road, such diverse landscape. A few people had told me how difficult this road would be, with hills etc, and how dangerous it could be. I am glad I walked it. It is one of the only roads I haven't travelled in NZ, and am glad I had the opportunity.
It rained for the first half hour, and was HOT and sunny for the rest of the day. I was also really fortunate to have a strong tail wind!!!
I was suprised to see Pete & Helen pull up on the side of the road at about 930am this morning. They were on their way back to Wellington, and decided to take the long way (through Napier). It was really neat to catch up with them again today. I have really enjoyed spending time with them over the last 4 days.
As I was walking (N/T road) I was able to collect $30 in donations. Thanks to the nice guy in the black ute, and the women in the 4xD who generously gave me $$.
There were road works along a large section of the N/T road. These 'disruptions' were appreciated, as it slowed the traffic, and made the walk a bit more interesting (things to look at etc). I was really suprised to come across Michael Murphy (NZ Idol Runner Up). I went to school with Michael, and it was good to see him again, but I didn't expect to catch up with him in the middle of no where, as he was working on the roads!
The guys working on the roads were a laugh. I wore my bright orange reflective rain jacket, because I cant find my more appropriate fluro vest!! - (I am required to wear reflective clothing on this stretch of road). They kept asking if I would like to work with them, and how I would fit right in, and a few more less appropriate comments (It was funny at the time, I guess you had to be there...).
I am really looking forward to arriving in Napier tomorrow. I will be sad to leave Taupo, but I have had a great time here, and it has been awesome staying with my Grandma (particularly as she has promised to let me watch HOUSE tonight).
Emma.

1 comment:

Steve Conroy said...

Good talking to you today. I will keep in touch in regard to Monday week. I'll talk to Mr Lucas tomorrow.

God Bless
Steve