Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Day 3, 4, 5.

First of all, apologies for my spelling!! My dad sez it sux.
Day 3.I had to be in Kaitaia by 12:30 for a BBQ at LJ Hookers. I had 30km to walk before that so started off at 7am covering about 6.5km p/h. I made it to Kaitaia by about 12:15 and met up with the awesome staff at LJ's. We had a few sausages and walked down the main street with th 'Hooker' bear following us. The staff even did a bit of a bucket collection along the main street, which looked to be pretty sucessful. Before arriving in Kaitaia, we stopped quickly at Awanui school. They were very kind and gave us a donation. A few songs were sung, and then I was back on my way. After leaving Kaitaia, I wasn't feeling 100% and 'hit the wall' after 43 or so km. I think it must have been a combo of sunburn, lack of food & water, and the fact that I started off so quickly (the sausages prob didn't help either!!). I finished day 3 behind schedule, which I was really gutted about. I went home and had a long soak in the bath and an afternoon sleep. That night, we had a BBQ with all the extended family. It was a great night and I was really sad to leave the next day.
Day 4. I made up the distance I couldn't cover the day before, so am back on track. I am not too sure how far I covered, all I remeber is that the last 4km was all up hill!!! There was a gorge which coverd 13km which I had to be driven through. It was essentially a single lane road that had heaps of corners, and no shoulder to walk on. The crew thought the safest thing to do would be to drive it... Felt pretty good, and made reasonable time. I was very stiff by the end of the day.
Day 5 (today):I was sick all through last night!! Vomitting etc. I spent a few hours in bed this morning and have just been off to see the doctor. I have been told that it is not a wise idea to walk today (50km), and the crew have put there foot (feet??) down and told me I can't walk at all. Tomorrow was to be my first rest day, so I may do the 50km stretch tomorrow, using today as my rest day instead. The doctor doesn't think it is a good idea to walk tomorrow either - but I will see how I am feeling (pretty miserable at the moment to be honest).
TV1 are going to do a live cross on their 'Breakfast' show on Wednesday 12th of November, at 7:40am. Hopefully a few people can check that out.
Tomorrow Night we have a dinner and dance in Kerikeri - all the tickets have sold out, so looks to be a good night.
I am super excited about saturday (election day). We are staying in a camping ground type place, so hopefully I will get to watch the progress on TV. Also, I have been told that an MP is coming to visit me on saturday - very excited!!!
Emma.

4 comments:

Student Room 7 said...

Hi Emma

Its Kate and Neve from Pinehaven school. Hope all is well. Good luck for tomorrow.

You Rock.

Student Room 7 said...

Hope you had fun trying to catch your plane.Hope you don't miss any more.we had fun reading your blog!

Steve Conroy said...

"No matter how difficult the challenge, when we spread our wings of faith and allow the winds of God's spirit to lift us, no obstacle is too great to overcome".
Roy Lessin

Hang in there Emma! Listen to your body and the experts. If you need to rest then enjoy the rest; when you need to walk, enjoy the walk. You are awesome.

God Bless
Steve

Chatterbox said...

Hi Emma
Hows it going?
Can you tell us where you are each day in your blog and where you are heading?
Hope your feeling better. Keep up the fluids. Your doing a good thing!