Saturday, November 29, 2008

DAY 28 / 29 (Eskdale - Hastings, Hastings - Waipawa).

DAY 28 - Eskdale - Waipawa:Left Eskdale at 8am this morning. I was really lucky to have Chris Tremain, MP for Napier, walk with me for the first 3 hours. We covered just over 20km. It was really awesome to have Chris along for the morning - he did a fantasic job of keeping up!!! As soon as Chris left me, I had about 10 boys from Hereworth School join me. These guys were great to walk with and I had a good time chatting to them and their teacher, Sam. Thanks to Duncan, (Duncan's Dad) John, and Sam for orgaising the guys. I was really impressed by the boys, they were confident, polite and were a great advertisement for their school (flip! I sound like a senior citizen!!). I continued towards Hastings, and was met by Murray from LJ Hooker. I stopped at the Hastings show grounds for lunch. Craig Foss, MP for Tukituki, Kevin (a city councilor), Murray, John, and his wife Janet, all met me there. We did a bit of a bucket collection through the streets (Paul dressed in the LJ hooker bear suit, and attracted tonnes of kids!!). We finished off in Craig's office. Thanks to Craig for buying me a juice - I really needed it!! Paul and I fiished the day off with the best steak we have ever eaten, and a couple of beers with Craig, and his wife Krystal, sitting / talking by their outdoor fireplace. Fantastic day.
DAY 29 - Hastings - Waipawa.
I HAVE CRACKED THE 1000KM MARK!!!!!!!WELL OVER $18,000 RAISED THUS FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Started at 8am in the middle of Hastings. I was joined by Kirsty & Sophie for the first hour. It was great chatting with them. They even gave me a really cool t-shirt!! (Kirsty has one exactly the same!). It was a really hot day today, and once again I am losing the battle with sun burn. My Ipod also decided to stop working, so it was a pretty tough day all round. Sue and her husband Brian met us not far from Otane, and did a fantastic job of collecting money along the way. I was really lucky to get a bag of goodies, that Sue & Brian had prepared - (things to remind me of the central Hawke's Bay (and some lollies!)). A big thank you, also, to the family who pulled over and donated $10 - much appreciated. Sue walked the final 15(ish) km with me, which was a welcome relief. I met an awesome guy called Possum (real name Andrew). Possum is from the HB and has CF. There is a really good article about him in the lateset edition of New Idea(??). Possum is such a nice guy, and I hope to catch up with him again on Monday. I also had the opportunity to meet Rachel & Sarah from Iona College. They walked with Sue and I for about half an hour. Iona College was very generous and presented me with a cheque for $500. Thank you to the staff (particularly Carmel) and studens at Iona - your support is much appreciated. Sue & I finished up in Waipawa and was met by Deputy Mayor, Michael Waite, and Possum's dad, Jack. The 4 of us had our photo taken outside the iconic Waipawa clock tower / war memorial. Then it was time to head back home. Paul and I once again had a few drinks, and one of the best meals I have ever had.
I am really looking forward to a rest tomorrow.
Monday I am walking Waipawa to Norsewood, leaving the Waipawa clock tower at 8am (Sue has promised to meet me!!).
I want to finish this update by thanking the Tremain and Foss families (Chris, Ange, Sam, Will, and Lily Tremain), & (Craig, Krystal, Sophie, and Laura Foss). Both famalies have been exceptional hosts during our time in the Hawke's Bay, and without their support, visiting this side of the country would not have been possible. Words can not adequetly express my gratitude and appreciation - Thank You.

1 comment:

claire said...

Congratulations Emma - 1000km, you're a walking machine. Which route do you take getting into Wellington, are you going over the Rimutaka Hill or through the Manawatu Gorge?
You are meeting heaps of great New Zealanders, which is awesome to hear about.