Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Day 13.

Just like a Tui billboard: "Rest day today... Yeah Right".

I started my day off with a trip to Ramarama School, where I spoke to the school about my walk; what I am doing, why I am doing it, and what CF is etc. It was an interesting assignment... addressing a range of children, aged between 5 and 12!! I think I did ok... I was particularly stoked to have one girl come up to me after the assembly, to thank me very much. She was quite nervous, and it obviously took a lot of courage - which I really appreciated.

Next it was off to have morning tea with John Banks (Auckland's Mayor). I took my uncle Tony with me, as he has done a great job helping me plan the route from Papakura to Hamilton, and helped me in so many other ways!!! (I am staying with him and his family at the moment). Jane (CF Auckland Chairperson) and her son Angus also came, as did Helen (also involved in CF). The film crew were there too. A really good spread was put on (Highlight was when young Angus ate a cream puff soaked in brandy - his expression was priceless!!).

I went off to have lunch with my friends, Elmo & Becci - both of whom are radio presenters on LIFE FM. Becci kindly organised (without telling me!!) for me to do a radio interview with Frank & Di in the afternoon. I was also interviewed for the tv show 'NZONE' (Shine TV, Sky ch 111, 7pm tomorrow night). I had a lot of fun with Scott and Allan, and learnt a lot about tv and radio production. Two tv appearances in 2 days!!!

Next, it was off to catch up with another friend, Greg. It took a lot of effort navigating the Auckland roads!! It was worth it, as it was really great to catch up with him again.

We have just had dinner, and I am not too far off from heading to bed! My cousin, Nathan, cooked dinner & dessert tonight - 5 star!!!

Tomorrow I will start walking from Papakura (outside BP - Great South Road, at 8am).

Emma.

1 comment:

Steve Conroy said...

"There are two ways of meeting difficulties: you alter the difficulties, or you alter yourself to meet them."
Phyllis Bottome

It has been great tonight to catchup on your progress. What an absolute amazing acheivement to reach Auckland. It hard to put things into perspective when you are tired but you are going through a huge mental challenge and learning experience. It cannot be completed without a bit of unfulfilled expectation, and the tension that necessarily follows. Keep communicating and remember that all of the team is working toward a tremendous outcome.

God Bless
Steve