Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Now in Auckland - 'Breakfast' (CH 1 - 745am), Wed 12 NOV (LIVE).

Hi,
From memory, the last update was Sunday, my rest day.
I HAVE WALKED IN TO AUCKLAND!!!!!
I have been getting donations on my Fundraiseonline site, from all over the world. I also know that I have people in France, England, Chile, the Netherlands, The USA and possibly even Dubai following my blog updates - who knows where else in the world this is getting attention.
Monday started off on the wrong foot (pun intended), with a couple of group arguments. Things are still pretty tense, but I am learning a lot about different personality types, and what it means to work in a team. I am sure that these 'teething problems' will sort themselves out in due course, and that we will get back on track (pun - I am up too late to be taking this seriously!) I also beleive that I will be a better person at the end of this trip, through experiences such as these, and I am using every circumstance as an opportunity to learn.
Monday was a big day in terms of events. Julie (Push Play Neighbourhoods, in the Rodney District), did an awesome job. I had the priviledge of attending a Porwhiri/Haka, in Te Hana. This gave me a chance to brush up on my (lack of) public speaking skills, when I was asked to address the elders/group as part of the ceremony. I really enjoyed this experience, and it is def. a highlight of the trip so far! The guys were all really nice, and the community development work they are involved in is a great cause.Next, Julie and I walked through Welsford together.I then walked to Warkworth (it is worth a walk to warkworth - something I came up with during my many hours of walking!). In Warkworth, the community quilting group presented me with 3 hand stiched quilts - on for my friend with CF, on for another person with CF, and one for me. I finished of by walking 8.5km south of Warkworth. I then arrived back in Warkworth, to meet with people at LJ Hookers. We did a bucket collection around the streets, and got some photos with Mr. Hooker Bear. Thank you to Rod and the staff for all their help! I also had an interview with the 'Rodney times', and some radio station.Julie (Such a star!!) organised for me to have a spa - my first of the trip -so I drove off in to an isolated little town up the coast, and put my feet up. It was a little unnerving - sitting in a random spa, with random people I have never met, in an isolated area of a place I am not familar with - sounds like an intro to a horror movie. Thanks for the spa, Margaret, Kathryn, and Antionette.We stayed at sandspit. The accommodation was VERY basic, and we shared our room with half a dozen spiders and other insects - I would regard my night there as 'character building'.
Today, started off a little later than usual - I slept in. I am finding myself staying up later and later each night trying to arrange things, update my blog, and answer emails... I think I need to employ someone to give me a hand!!!We made it into Northcote, eventually (after getting lost, and me walking an additional 6 or so km!!). Caught the ferry across to the city and back. Paul and I then went to a really flash hotel in Takapun to have a spa and use the gym. Thanks to Julie for organising my 2nd spa of the trip, and the chance to hang out with wealthy people!!I also had Rebekah walk with me for an hour or so today. It was great to have the company - cheers, Rebekah.
Tomorrow I will be up bright and early, to appear on 'Breakfast', at 745am (CH 1).
Hopefully I will get a chance to update things a bit more frequently, now that I have walked in to Auckland!!

1 comment:

JoeGreenz said...

Good on you Emma, will contribute and persuade my colleagues to do same.