Sunday, November 9, 2008

DATE
9/11/2008 Dinner in KeriKeri on Thursday night went really well!! Over $4,000 was raised! We were picked up and dropped off at the Landing. I was a bit shocked to find the car park FULL, with people spread around the grounds - a professional photographer was even there waiting for us to arrive!!! The whole place had been booked out for the dinner, so everyone there was there to support CF. A buffet dinner was served (I still wasn't eating too much at that stage), and a band donated their time to entertain throughout the night. They were a cool 60's/70's band, and a number of the guests dressed appropriatley! I must admit, I felt VERY young when the band began, and people started dancing - I haven't seen (dance) moves like that since I last saw an Austin Powers movies.
CF Northland did a really awesome job of putting that all together! Thanks Sarah, Jane, Mike and everyone else involved!!!!

Friday, I was woken at 5am (annoying as I had set my alarm at 530!!), by Kim. Sharon was sick!!!! Looks like the virus is doing the rounds (Kim has since become sick too - Just waiting on Paul to succumb now!!).
Sharon spent the day in bed, Paul stayed with her, while Kim and I began our day.
I was really lucky to have a group of 5 walkers join me for a few km early on (Hi Stan & Maisey!!).
Also, a woman stopped her car, and ran over to meet me. She very kindly handed me a cheque, and said that she had hoped to see me during my walk. Her daughter in law has CF, and has been keeping her updated on my progress. It was a great boost.

As I approached Whangarei, Mike and the team from LJ Hooker joined me, and helped with a bucket collection. We raised quite a bit of cash, however, the comapny was the best part!! Mike and Jacinda continued walking the last 20km with me.
We (Kim and myself - Sharon & Paul were still back at Haruru Falls!) spent the night at Mike's house in Kamo. I was really pleased to see Kamo, and see where (former All Black) Ian Jones grew up - Mike even pointed out the street where he lived (Jealous Dad?!).

Saturday (Election day), Kim and I began at 740am. Sharon & Paul joined us later. We walked until we came across a polling station. The crew cast their votes (I voted before I came away), and we were off again.
Sam Warriner (NZ Triathlete), joined me for about half an hour, as did Mike and his 5yr old daughter Gemma. Gem did a great job, and even lead me some of the way!!
Kim got sick later that afternoon, so Paul and I continued, while Kim and Sharon went to our nights accommodation.
I climbed the Brynderwyn Hill, and made it home in time to watch the election coverage.

Rest day today. I have been working on my book, and reading the paper.

Big day tomorrow. Lots organised, a few walkers to join me, and a presentation of a quilt!!

I will try to update again tomorrow!

I have also just recieved an email from a CF family in Jacksonville, Florida. I now have people in 2 American States (Utha & Florida), Chille, and the Netherlands following my progress.

Emma.

4 comments:

Emma Daken said...

Hi Em
Dad here; where have you been ?
Wondering when you are coming home to clean your bedroom ?

Love DAD

Chatterbox said...

Hi Emma,

As I type this you are walking around Warkworth with Mr Hooker Bear! You are doing a great job, and I have some great photo's, if you send your email address to warkworth@ljh.co.nz (or facebook) I will send you some!
Tracie - LJ Hooker,Warkworth

Steve Conroy said...

"Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish, but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything".
Napoleon Hill

Well done on the progress you are making. It seems like you had some wonderful experiences over the weekend, and great positive feedback to project you forward. We had prizegiving tonight and Murray used you as an example of former students who are acting out the College litany in their lives (the other was Ben Allen who has just returned from Mexico).

You are fantastic,
God Bless
Steve

Claire said...

Hi Emma
It's everyone here from Mrs Hughes' (Auntie Claire) room here at Pinehaven School. It is so cool as we recently moved classrooms. We hope you are having a successful walk so far. It seems like you are raising a lot of money which is awesome. Can you tell us how many km you have walked so far - we are keeping track of your progress here in Upper Hutt. Congratulations for what you have achieved so far. Mrs Hughes hopes you got up and boogied like the oldies did.
Love from all of us here.