Sunday, November 23, 2008

Day 24.

Feeling 100% toady!!Started my day off with a tin of creamed rice, and two radio interviews (Classic Hits & Newstalk ZB). On my way to the station, I was pulled over by a police car. I wasn't speeding (this time), or doing anything else unlawful, and wondered why I had been pulled over. The officer came over and asked what I was doing - whether I was walking... (My JUCY van has a massive orange 'Walkers Ahead' sign on the back, and an even bigger LJ Hooker 'Emma Daken - Walking NZ' sign on the front). All I could do was look at him in disbelief - yes. I am still not entirely sure why I was stopped. Nevertheless, an interseting start to my day.
Radio interviews went well.
Next it was off to the primary school I attended, Hilltop Primary. I was lucky enough to have a guided tour of the school, by its principal, Dave Hughes. Hilltop has changed quite a bit since I was last there (nearly 10 yrs ago!!!). Some of the staff who taught me are still there, quite funny to see how they have changed.
A special assembly had been organised. There were at least 550 people in the assembly - my biggest audience yet!! I spoke about my walk, and CF, and answered a tonne of questions from the students. I was impressed by the quality of question - very well thought out, and it helped guide me to talk about the things they were most interested in.
A big thank you to Dave Hughes, staff, and students of Hilltop Primary. Thanks for the very kind donation, and allowing me the opportunity to talk at your assembly!!
When I finally got around to walking, I was lucky enough to have my friends Helen & Peter join me. Pete walked the first 7 or so km through town, and Helen would drive ahead and meet us. It has been really great to have them along! They even helped out with a bucket collection through town.
I made it out on to the Napier-Taupo road. Good day. VERY wet. I wasn't too sore today, and my shin seems to be sorting itself out.
Raised just over $12,000 thus far!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Emma.
I'm @ work and its 3am. I think I've finally fiqured out how to open a blogger account. It takes me a while!! Caught up with your very detailed and interesting daily entries. Surprised Steve walked that FAR!! Keep up the good work. Say hi to your Mum and Dad from me, also Claire and Mum and Dad (nana/grandad). Posted a small donation. Take care. Kaye

Unknown said...

Hi Emma,
forgot to ask if you've cleaned your room yet. Luv' Kaye