Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Day 31, 32, 33, 34.

Day 31:
Early start this morning with a visit to the Central FM station for a radio interview. Really good interview, spoke for aprox. 10min. Thank you to Simon for the interview, and Craig and Susanna for organising it.
Next, it was off to the Waipawa clock tower to begin the walk. I was met by Sue, Possum, and Jack (Possum's dad). Had a newspaper interview there (Sorry Susanna, for insisting you join us in the photo!!). Sue & I walked through Waipawa and collected a bit of $$. We continued on to Waipuk, and collected EVEN MORE!!!! Thank you very much to Sue, for all your help over the last few days!! I really appreciated your help, and all the money you single-handedly raised (in excess of $500). Thank you also for plying me with lollies! Finished the day in Norsewood. Traveled through to Danneverk where we spent the night.

Day 32:
Late start this morning (I needed a bit of a sleep in). Walked through Danneverk, Bill & I did a bit of a bucket collection through the town. Continued on to Woodville. VERY windy day, and was a real struggle walking into the wind. On the positive side, it did remind me of home (Wgtn). Caroline (CF 'project manager') flew up for the day and joined us. Spent the night in Palmerston North, at the Kingsgate Hotel. Enjoyed a very nice dinner in the restaurant, and returned to my room to watch HOUSE.

Day33:
530am start this morning. Had breakfast at the hotel. Caroline & I drove out to Woodville, where I was to start my walk for the day. The Army was supposed to meet me there, and walk through the Manawatu gorge with me (on the bush track). Unfortunately, this fell through. I was pretty disappointed, as I was really looking forward to it. As a result, I wasn't able to walk the bush track (unsafe by myself). I had to begin my walk at the other end of the gorge. I was really excited to have my friend Bianca (and her friend Susie) join me for half an hour. I made it into Palmerston North in good time, and was met by Angela and her daughter Maddie. Angela & Maddie walked into the 'Square' with me, where I was met by my friend Mandy and a few others. The 6 of us did a bucket collection around the streets. Unfortunately, this bucket collection was probably the least successful, and a lot of people were quite rude. Thanks to Maddie, Angela, Darren, Mandy & co. for helping with the bucket collection. It was great to meet you all!! I continued on walking, and finished around 530. I decided to drive back to Wellington, and spent the night at home.

Day 34 - Rest Day:
Went and got some acupuncture this morning, and caught up with a friend of mine (thanks for the coffee Graeme!!). About to drive back up to Palmy. Am catching up with Bianca, Andrew, and Jax before heading into a Christmas party for the staff of the Palmerston North City Council. Paul & I are staying in Levin tonight, as we have an early start tomorrow (just outside of Himitangi).
Thank you very much to Nathan Guy, MP for Otaki, for arranging our accommodation for tonight!!
Tomorrow I am walking from Bainesse to Kuku, and am really looking forward to having my friend Ferg walk with me.
Saturday, is Kuku to Paekakariki. My Dad has said he will walk that section, as will another friend, Nat.

Apologies for the lack of updates over recent days - Internet access has been hard to find!! I am stying with my parents fri - Mon, so will be on the ball re: updates.

No comments: