Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Day 53: Ashburton to Orari. Day 54: Orari to Timaru.

Day 53:Had an interview on Port FM this morning. Went into the studio at 815-ish and spoke with Andy. Good interview, although I wasn't too articualte. Also got a copy of the Ashburton Gaurdian Newspaper. Great article/photo (it even had the fundraise online site!!). Stopped in at Shell to fill the van with petrol, and to replenish my stock of V. Thank you to Junior & Bob for the 2 free cans of V! Began walking from the northern end of Ashburton just before 9am. Jo Goodhew (Timaru MP and my host tomorrow night), who was driving up to Ashburton from Timaru, stopped and offered her encouragement. Did a further phone interview for Port FM. Continued along the long straights until we reached Hinds. Maragret & I stopped in at the Hinds tavern for lunch (Thanks to Jane & Geoff for the best packed lunch I think I have ever had!!). Thanks to Sue & Sue from the tavern for the donations and free drinks! Thank you also to Hinds Mechanical for the donation. got REALLY hot after lunch. I continued on after lunch, but my shins got pretty sore. I took a pain killer that the Dr. in Blenheim prescribed. Unfortunately, I didn't read that it makes you drowsy... I ended up sitting in the shade for half an hour, drinking my 2nd (free) can of V. I eventually arrived in Orari at 645pm (after a 9am start). We arrived at our hosts (Will, Linda, Dougal, Lucy Poulson) house just before 7pm. Linda's parents and her firend Kim were also there. We had a bbq and some drinks and spent the rest of the night talking.
Day 54:Arrived at Orari with Will, Linda, and Lucy. We were met by Jo and her husband Mark, and a few others. All 12 or so of us walked into Temuka (12km). We were meet by a photographer and journalist from a newspaper. Sarah Hitchings and her Mum, Andrea and Brother, Matthew, also joined us for a bit. Will and family left us in Temuka, and Andrea, Sarah, Matt and myself did a bit of a bucket collection around Temuka town. Thank you ver much to Andrea for the VERY geberous christmas present!! It is much appreciated, and will def. come in handy! Margaret and I stopped for Lunch in Temuka with Jo's parents. We had an awesome Bacon & Egg pie. Jo's youngest Daughter, Abbi was there also. After lunch, Abbi and I walked to Timaru. Along the way, we caught up with Logan (the awesome 9yr old I visited in chch hospital on Sunday), his Mum, aunty & Uncle. We all walked into Timaru together, and did a bucket collection. Logan did a fantastic job of walking with us the whole way!! We said goodbye to Logan and his family, (after stopping for drinks at Shell). Abbi & I continued on. We were joined by Abbi's dad, Mark, and older sister, Harriet. Once we finished for the day, we arrived at Mark & Jo's place. We have just had a really great Thai dinner. Tomorrow I will head off to Timaru Baptist and enjoy a rest day.
Only 10 more (walking days).

No comments: