Monday, December 22, 2008

Day 52 - Dunsandel - Ashburton.

Bit of a later start this morning. The one way street system in Chch is a bit confusing, and I got pretty lost on my way to pick Margaret (my driver for the next few days) up from Halswater. Arrived in Dunsandel to begin walking at 10am. Great day for walking - a bit overcast, with a slight breeze. The road I am walking is entirley straight, and I haven't walked around a corner for the last 2 days, however it is not as boring as it sounds.There is also a pretty decent shoulder to walk on, with very little slope - as a result, my shins felt fantastic today, and the walk was almost completely pain free!!! My IPOD got pretty wet on Saturday, and has decided not to work at all, so a pretty boring day in that respect!!! I came across the Rakaia bridge today - the longest bridge in the southern hemisphere - it is illegal to walk along it, so I had the luxury of being driven (which can't be cheating!!!). Margaret and I stopped for lunch in Rakia, at a really nice cafe. The afternoon went really quickly, and I arrived in Ashburton before 5. We had a newspaper interview organised, so while we were waiting, Margaret and I cleaned out the van (after coming across magots on fri). After the newspaper interview, we drove to our accommodation for the night. I am really lucky to be staying with the Right family, and Margaret is staying next door with the Casey's. We have all just had a really awesome dinner, and after getting to bed late last night, I am just about to get to bed.Thank you very much to Jane, Geoff, Tom, and Hannah Right for hosting me tonight, and to the Casey's for hosting Margaret - It is really appreciated!!

No comments: