Sunday, December 14, 2008

Day 45.

My first day walking again after a few days rest... I (almost) did everything the Dr. said, and the shins are feeling slightly better.
Wet day today - not typical Marlbrough weather - but it was good to walk in the rain. I enjoyed the walk today, as I have spent a bit of time in the Marlborough region, it was good to be on familiar roads....My Grandad walked (the whole way) with me today, and at 71, is the oldest walker I have had along the way. I was also joined by Paula. Paula heard my interview on Classic Hits (thursday) and decided to join me for the day also.
The highlight of my day was meeting Blair. Blair's wife recently passed away from CF. Blair walked with me for 10 or so minutes and we talked about CF, his wife, kids etc. Meeting Blair reminded me of why I began this walk, and encouraged me to continue. Over the last few days, lying in bed resting my shins and not doing too much else, I got a bit frustrated and (selfishly) thought about all the other things I could be doing, particulalry at this time of year. I had lost a bit of enthusiasim for the walk, and lost sight of the reason I was doing this. Thanks Blair, for reminding me why this walk is so important.
Another highlight was recieving a FREE pair of shoes!! ADIDAS have not come through with shoes, and I was without an alternative pair - The pair I brought in Hamilton have finally worn out, and I am now on to my third pair. A big thank you to Robin Mitchell, of Mitchell Sports in Blenheim, for your support.
Something I forgot to update last monday.......
Unfortunately, Kim (one of the physio students), decided that she wasn't enjoying the trip. She rang me on Monday night to tell me she had quit, and would not be meeting us at the ferry terminal early the next morning to begin the South Island leg of the trip. I was pretty annoyed at the late notice, as this also left us without a driver/crew member. I also have a thing about commitment (as the soccer team I coach knows!!), namely, if you commit to something, you see it through and give it your best... Luckily, I was able to arrange substitute drivers for the last few weeks of the trip. My parents & 3 Grandparents will join Paul & I from Timaru onwards. I'm lucky to have such a wonderful family who will drop everything to help out. I feel a bit sorry for Paul, as it has turned into a bit of a family roadtrip!!
Looking forward to walking again tomorrow - hopefully the shins hold up. I am also looking forward to spending my next rest day (thurs) in Hanmer Springs.
Off to ice my Shins..Emma.

3 comments:

Joe Hattersley said...

Hi Emma,

Came across your walk on 3 news.

Have to say i am rather impressed with your journey so far, and can quite honetsly say you are an inspiration to all Kiwi's.

Keep up with the rice (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation), and hope that your shins won't cause you too much trouble.

Most of all, don't give up! It will be worth it at the end!

Best Wishes

Joe
Wellington

Tana Fatu said...

Hay emz, I heard about your walk through general goss. I'm actually prepping for a walk in mid feb to raise awareness for the kidney patients, personally I think the distance I'm covering isn't as much as Id like it to be but Im sure it'll still raise awareness. doing something like what you are pursuing at the moment must give you a lot to think about, talk about and correct me if Im wrong... analysing life(at some type of degree) well your doing great and as the saying goes a Journey to a thousand miles starts with one step and the steps you have been taking are life changing. knowing that things such as walking or running events(or whatever it maybe called) to raise awareness, fundraising etc is a common thing. but what isn't, is the day that you are in at this time. every day is different from the day before. 45days ago, you started something that today, is stirring minds and hearts and that is something that needs to be common in every one.

wishing you the best for whatever you have left to conquer.

keep it up

Tana
wellington

Ferg said...

Hi Rent-A-Friend,

glad to hear you are back on the road. We were a bit worried and kinda figured you might end up heading toward a dodgy mind space, over the last few days.

I am so pleased that Blair was there.

You are a walking machine, so provided your feet and shins don't break, you will get there provided you get/stay in a good mind space.

We are all thinking of you. Just think how much you have done and what it will be like when it's finished. And when the chips are really dwon think of how unsatisfied you would be with unfinished busines. Worse what it would then take to finish the busines.

Go Emma