Thursday, December 25, 2008

Day 55 - Christmas. Day 56: Boxing Day/Rest Day.

Day 55 - Christmas:Had a bit of a sleep in this morning after a few big days of walking. I arrived downstairs to find my hosts, the Goodhew's, waiting for Margaret and Myself to wake up, before they opened their presents (Really sorry about that guys, I had no idea you were waiting for us!!!). I then went down to Timaru Baptist for their Christmas morning service. After church, I drove back to the Goodhews, to pick up Margaret and take her around to the Hitchings for christmas lunch. I spent a bit of time catching up with Sarah, Andrea, and Matt, before I went home. Mark and Jo had a few friends and family around for Christmas lunch. I had a great time talking with Jo's dad, Bruce, and her uncle John - mostly about politics and travel. After lunch, most of the guests left, and I spent a few hours talking with Bruce some more, before heading to my room for a rest. We had dinner, I went for a drive to 'expolre' Timaru, and spent the eveining watching 'Love Actually' with the family. Really enjoyable day. I wasn't really looking forward to christmas, being away from home and Family & friends etc. I am really thankful to Mark, Jo, Emily, Harriet, and Abi, for opening their home to me over christmas, and making me feel welcome. Much apprecieated. Thank you also for the present - my favourite type of 'fuel'! Thank you also to margaret for driving for the last few days - this trip would have been difficult without a support driver - so thank you for giving up time with your family, to follow me!
Day 56:I went with Em, Harriet, and Abi to their rowing practice this morning, and watched for a little bit. I left to drive to the airport to pick up Ange (new support crew member). Ange and I came back to Jo's place and had a coffee and catch up, before I took Ange to her hotel. Once the girls got home from rowing, we all went into town to take advantage of the boxing day sales. While in town, I got a phone call from Jo, who said she had arranged for me to talk at the opening of the Caroline Bay carnival. I was a little bit nervous, but public speaking is a huge part of this walk, particularly for raising awarness about CF - so I had to get over the nervousness. We turned up at the Carnival, and I was 'briefed' on the programme. Jo (as the local MP was also involved in the opening ceremony) and did an amazing job of introducing me. Unfortunately, I wasn't too flash and kept it 'short and sweet'. Once we left the stage, we sat in the front row and enjoyed the entertainment. I particularly enjoyed Eddy Lowe - a favourite of the Caroline Bay carnival. After the concert, I collected a bit of money from the carnival goers (I estimate close to $150). Thank you to everyone who stopped to chat and donated. I caught up with Sarah. Sarah, Abi, and I went on a few of the carnival rides. we didn't last long, and decided to come home. My Mum and Grandma flew down this afternoon to take up positions in the support crew, and we are just about to have a BBQ at the Goodhew's. I start walking again tomorrow after 2 days rest. I am really looking forward to having my friend Greg join me for part of the way. However, it will be sad leaving the Goodhew's. Thank you once again for your hospitality, particularly over Christmas, and your very generous donation.

No comments: