Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Day 48.

Rest Day.

Spent last night in Hanmer Springs, and am there again tonight. I am really lucky to be staying in a 'Home away from home' house, used by CF families. It is quite cool spending a bit of time by myself, and in a really nice spot like Hanmer!! Thanks to the CF association for organisng this for me!!

Shins are still very sore, so thought I would go to the pool. After dinner, and on my way to the pool, I was stopped by a police officer as I was walking to my car. I saw the officer driving up and down the main road a few times while I was eating dinner. This is the first officer I have come across on the trip, who has not been supportive of my efforts and given me words of encouragement etc (not that I minded, I was glad I gave him something to do). He asked where I got the signs attached to my car from... He didn't believe me when I told him that Chris Cairns had given them to me after he finished his walk from Auck to Chch. He told me that I needed to take them off my car. When I asked him which law I was breaking, he said I hadn't broken any laws, but they needed to come off. His explanation was that a gust of wind may potentially remove the sign from the car, potentially fall in front of another vehicle, potentially cause an accident and potentially kill someone - and I would potentially be charged with manslaughter. I thought about what he said... I could be crossing the road to get to the dairy, to buy milk, and potentially get ht by a car.. this doesn't stop me from crossing the road. needless to say the signs are still on my van (transit safety requirement - not belligerence).

When I woke up this morning I did some washing and was outside hanging it on the line, when there was an earthquake. I could see the fence moving and then felt the ground shake. There were another few earthquakes throughout the morning. I then drove into Chch to catch up with a friend (Matt), and run some errands.

I'll head back to Hanmer later on this afternoon, and grab some dinner and go to the pools (and hopefully avoid seeing the same cop!!). I predict an early night, as I have a big day tomorrow - walking from Amberly to Chch, and then a CF BBQ in the evening. I am also expecting a few walkers to join me. Looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good on you Emma for refusing to take the sign off. :D

Alex