Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Update:

  • Hi Guys,

    Just under 16 days, 14 hours remaining!!!

    From the 25th of October I will post an update daily. Unfortunately, I have been flat out over the last coupel of weeks, and haven't had an opportunity to blog. A lot has happened in that time, so here is a (not so) Quick update on progress:

    SPONSORSHIP:

    JUCY RENTALS:
    A few months ago, Jucy Rentals kindly sponsored a Crib Campa for my walk. As the Crib Campa only has 2 seatbelts, a further vehicle was needed. I spent a couple of months contacting various rental companies, but to no avail. I had some success with one company (or so I thought), however, yesterday this company confirmed they would not be involved. At that point I was a bit unsure what to do next, as it appeared I had exhausted all of my options.
    Step in Jucy Rentals...
    Jucy has also offered to provide me with a 5 seater rental car, as well as the initial Camper van.
    Big thanks goes to Tim and Amelia at Jucy for their support - couldn't be done without you guys!!!

    ADIDAS:
    Adidas have come onboard, and have offered to provide me with some gear at heavily discounted prices!!
    I was in Christchurch for the day yesterday, and was able to get fitted for gear. I am fortunate enough to be sponsored 6 pairs of Adidas shoes, 3 pairs of Adidas Skins, and 10 pairs of 'special' socks - the kind that draw moisture away from your feet. Having Adidas onboard is a huge honour (I feel like an All Black), and I am stoked with their generosity.

    SOUTH BRIGHTON CHEMIST:
    Ian Leighton, owner of South Brighton Chemist in Christchurch has VERY kindly donated a box of supplies. I now have (from memory) plenty of sunscreen, lip balm, anti-flam massage cream, voltaren gel, pain killers & anti-inflammatory medication, 3B chaffing cream, blister plasters and more. A big thank you to Ian and his staff - I really appreciate the donation, and am sure it will come in handy!!

    FOUR WINDS PRODUCTIONS:
    Four Winds Productions have also become involved in this project. Their role is to deal with the publicity side of the walk. I am assured that after the election the media will be all over this walk! (I am not too sure how I feel about that - those of you who know me best, know that I don't like to be in the spotlight!!).

    I have just been interviewed by the Dominion Post - fast work, well done guys! Look out for my interview during the last week of October.

    BP:
    BP has donated $230 worth of petrol vouchers.

    THE CHRIS CAIRNS FOUNDATION:
    Patrick Jackson, charity manager of the Chris Cairns Foundation, has agreed to let us use the 2 big orange 'Walker' (road) signs Chris used during his walk. These signs attach to the tow bar of a vehicle, and garner a lot of attention! Thanks Patrick, I was having real trouble securing similar signs, and I am sure these will do the trick.

    I was also lucky enough to catch up with Chris, a few days out from completing his walk. He was able to offer lots of advice, and even insisted I look at his feet (not pretty). Thanks Chris, for all the helpful hints!!

    HUTT VALLEY WATER SERVICES:
    Thanks to Steve and the staff at HVWS, for the donation of a light-weight, fluoro rain jacket, and other clothing.

    HORLEYS & LA FITNESS:
    These guys got a mention in the last update - but thanks again to Horleys for the donation of 102 Protein33 bars. And thanks to Andy at LA Fitness in Petone, for the loan of a treadmill.


    EXAMS:
    In my last update, I mentioned that I had applied to sit my exams a couple of days early, and that I was still waiting on the outcome.
    Unfortunately, I received some bad news...
    Victoria University declined my application. I appealed this decision and took my case to the Vice Chancellor, who also declined my application.
    To be honest, I am really disappointed with the way in which Victoria dealt with this situation - I would even go so far as to say, this experience has left me embarrassed to call myself a student of Victoria University.

    The situation now, is that I will sit my final exam on October the 31st (finishing at 6pm). I will then catch a 730pm flight from Wellington to Auckland, and a further flight from Auckland to Whangarei at 930pm. I then need to drive from Whangarei to Cape Reinga (aprox 3hrs). I don't anticipate arriving in Cape Reinga before 2am. I had planned to begin my walk at 6am on the 1st, however, the starting time may need to be reconsidered in light of this situation.

    The worst part is that I will miss the Porwhiri and launch dinner on the 31st!!!!

    I suppose one positive outcome is that I didn't have to go through the flawed process again, and pay the exorbitant fee to sit any exams during my walk!!

    ...Rant over!

    CREW:
    I also mentioned in my last update that I was having a bit of trouble securing a crew. The good news is, this has now been confirmed!! I am very fortunate to have accompanying me, Sharon Hanna (physiotherapist), Kim Taylor (physiotherapist), and Paul Fowler (driver). I am really stoked to have these guys on board, and I am sure we will have an awesome time together!!

    OTHER NEWS:

    SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS:
    I have been invited to talk to 10 classes at Pine Haven school, in Upper Hutt tomorrow. Furthermore, I will also be talking a little about the walk at Karori Baptist Church on Sunday (two services, 9am & 10:30 - would be great to see you there!!).

    I have a few more 'engagements' during the walk, but will update you all closer to the time.

    NZ ARMY:
    The New Zealand Army look keen to get involved in the walk. They will do this by assisting with bucket collections (as I walk through towns), and even accompany me on some of the legs. This will be a great boost, and I am sure my competitive nature will shine through! Thanks to my trainer, SGT Davey Forbes for setting the wheels in motion.

    DOCUMENTARY:
    Initially I thought the concept of a documentary was put on the back burner when Ange (film maker) was offered a paid position working on a feature film in Australia. Since then, Ange and Jenifer (founder of Bush Craft Productions), have been working on securing film makers from around the country to become involved, and film certain parts of the walk. This is a really exciting prospect, and I look forward to updating you on the progress.

    T-SHIRTS:
    We have printed up a few t-shirts which are being sold for around $15 each. All proceeds from sales will go towards my fundraising goal of $50,000. Email me if you are keen to get hold of one.

    ACCOMMODATION:
    Accommodation looks to be all sorted (bar a few places). I am even embarrassed to say that some of the places we are staying at are quite flash!! Thank you to everyone who has offered to put us up for a night or two!!!



    Finally,
    I am still having a bit of trouble with my left Achilles. Prayers are appreciated.
    Thanks to my Saturday walking buddies (Ferg, Hannah, Mike, and Jane).

    During the walk be sure to visit:

    http://www.fundraiseonline.co.nz/EmmaDaken08/
    http://emmadaken.blogspot.com/
    http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=17276646841&ref=ts ('Emma's Walk for a Cure'Facebook page).

    Kitos,
    Emma.

No comments: